欢迎收听地道英语,我是菲菲。
And I’m Rob.
我是罗布。
Hey Rob, have you ever wondered what you’d be doing if you weren’t here?
嗨罗布,你可曾想过,如果你不在这里,你可能会在做什么吗?
Hmmm... Lying on the sofa, watching TV I expect.
嗯……我希望是躺在沙发上看电视。
No Rob. I mean in your career –if you weren’t a talented presenter like you are?
不罗布。我是指你的职业生涯,如果你不是一个像现在这样的优秀主持人呢?
I’d be a financial whizz-kid:investing in the stock market, making loads of money.
那我会是一个金融神童:投资股市,赚很多钱。
A whizz-kid? You mean someone young, very clever and successful at doing something?
神童?你的意思是年纪小又聪明,并且某件事上有所作为的人?
Yes, that’s a whizz-kid! I don’t know why I didn’t do it.
对,那就是神童!我不知为何我没有这么做。
Do you want me to tell you?
你想让我告诉你吗?
No. Let’s just hear about some other whizz-kids who are young, intelligent and successful, just like me…
不用了。让我们听几个其他神童的例子吧,他们都年轻聪明又成功,就像我一样……
My nephew is a computer whizz-kid:he earns a fortune fixing people’s laptops!
我侄子是个电脑神童,他靠修理别人的笔记本电脑赚了一大笔钱。
Our new financial whizz-kid has come straight from university and he’s doing really well.
我们的新晋金融神童已经从大学毕业了,他现在做得真的很好。
She was a whizz-kid at university, so it’s no wonder she’s now a partner at one of the top legal firms.
她在大学时曾是个神童,所以也难怪她现在是一家顶级律所的合伙人。
So they are whizz-kids – clever, successful
or skillful people – and most of all, they are young, like kids! And
there’s the problem Rob.
所以他们是神童——聪明,成功或者精通某事的人,而且最重要的,他们年纪小,像孩子一样!这就是问题所在,罗布。
There is a problem?
有问题?
Yes, you’re not young anymore.
对,你年纪可再也不小了。
OK, clever then!
好,那还有聪明呢。
Hmm, I’m not so sure about that.
嗯,我对此不是很确定。
Alright, successful – one out of three isn’t bad.
好吧,成功,三样中的一样还不坏吧。
Well, erm, errr…
嗯,呃,呃……
OK OK. Perhaps I’d never be a financial whizz-kid. Maybe I’ll stick to my other plan.
好吧。也许我永远也不会是一个金融神童了。也许我该坚持我其它的计划。
Which is?
哪个?
Sitting on the sofa, watching TV. I’m off to do it now. Bye.
坐在沙发上看电视。我要走了,去做这件事了。再见。
Hmm, not a whizz-kid then, just a lazy man. Bye.
嗯,那可不是个神童,只是个懒人。再见。